Saturday, February 25, 2012

About Batteries

With so many brands and variants of e-cigs available these days, it's important for the consumer to know as much about their components as possible. With this in mind, I want to discuss a very important part of any e-cig, the battery.

When I first traded my very long term cigarette habit for e-cigs, I could not believe how lucky I was to have discovered them. My first 'serious' e-cig, as opposed to cheap (and very poor performing) e-cigs that are still available everywhere, was the great and super popular 510, purchased with the starter kit.

The four basic components of an e-cig are 1) the battery 2) the atomizer 3) the cartridge 4) the charger. Of course you need e-liquid, but I won't consider that a component for the purposes of this article.

Notice that I listed the battery first--that's no coincidence. Battery life is extremely important to the heavy, or even moderate 'vaper'. (vaper being the term for someone who uses an e-cig)

The reason the battery is so important, is because the last thing a vaper wants to have happen, is have a battery die when using an e-cig outside the home--or inside for that matter. So the amount of STORAGE of a battery determines how long you can use it before it needs a recharge. And it's important to always have a spare charged battery, a spare atomizer or cartomizer and e-liquid with you.

Here's a breakdown of the (approximate) run-times of the most popular e-cigs today. I've listed the approximate mAh for comparison's sake for the techies out there. All times listed are approximate averages, and will depend on the individual's usage. Bottom line, the more you use your battery, the shorter the time between recharges.

Model 510 standard battery: 180 mAh, run-time 1.5-2 hours of average use.
Model 510XL: (sometimes called Mega)  280 mAh, about 2.5 hours of use.
E-go Standard 650 mAh, about 6 hours of usage.
E-go XL, or Mega: 1100 mAh, average usage about 8-9 hours.

The brand new 'Indulgence': 3000 mAh (nope, that's not a typo) approximate usage time, about 24 hours. One full day (and night) for the heavy vaper. That's why I listed this puppy separately, the thing is in a class of it's own when it comes to battery life.

This newest e-cig with the monster battery is no lightweight--the thing feels like a roll of quarters in your fist--the casual vaper will find it too heavy to carry around, I use mine mostly in the house, I got used to the weight after a few days, and now like to pick it up and use it.

It's now my second most used e-cigarette, the one I use the most is my e-go with the 'Mega' 1000 mAh battery. That gives me plenty of power for the average day, and I always have a couple of extra batteries ready to go and a few new attys handy.

Of course the battery doesn't do you much good without an atomizer or cartomizer--or the cool new 'clearomizers', so the serious vaper always has spares of those also.

Check out all of the batteries, cartomizers and all your e-cig products I've listed above at Smoke-Light.com, your one stop shop for all your e-cig needs, and the sponsor of this blog :)

This is Lenny your friendly e-cig guy signing off--go out and have a wonderful day!




















No comments:

Post a Comment